Friday, May 8, 2009

Crockpot Marinara Sauce

I think I've mentioned that the boys and I are heading to San Diego for a week with my mom and Jen B. and her son. Since I don't want the husband to get pizza every night while we're gone, I thought I'd make lasagna on Saturday night so he'll have leftovers to eat throughout the week. I was looking through a vegetarian cookbook last weekend and saw a crockpot recipe for marinara sauce. I thought I could throw it in the crockpot today and it would be all ready for me to make lasagna with it tomorrow.

Crockpot Marinara Sauce
2 cans (28 oz each) crushed tomatoes with Italian herbs, undrained
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
1 large onion, chopped
8 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Mix all ingredients in slow coker. Cover. Cook on low 8-10 hours.

*****

I used regular crushed tomatoes, and instead of the basil and oregano I just added in Italian seasoning instead. My house smells AMAZING with this cooking. It makes me want to have pasta for dinner tonight, but I don't want it two nights in a row.

No comments: