Monday, May 25, 2009

Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting

I've been neglecting my blog over the holiday weekend. I told the husband this morning that today I want to get my blogs updated and work on cleaning our office so we can start looking for a treadmill. We've been having a fun, relaxing weekend. I'm sad today is the last day of it! I love when the husband is home from work and we get to have family time. Right now he and the boy are out in a little inflatable pool my mom bought for my kids. The boy LOVES it. First thing this morning he asked, "Can I go swimming?" :)

I haven't had to do much cooking this weekend, although I've done a lot of stuff for fun. Friday night the husband and I grilled burgers after the kids were in bed. They were tasty...I added a packet of ranch dressing mix, some barbecue sauce, and some shredded cheddar cheese to the ground beef. YUM! Saturday night we went to my mom's for dinner to celebrate the baby's half birthday. I know, can you believe he's six months old already?! Me neither. For the boy's six month birthday I made a half cake--two round cakes each cut in half and then layered and frosted. I was excited to do another one because, to be brutally honest, I thought it was a really clever idea the first time around. :) I used a yellow cake mix but used applesauce instead of the oil and Egg Beaters instead of the eggs to make it slightly healthier. This was the same frosting recipe I used for the boy's cake, and I had loved it, so I figured I might as well stick with it.

Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
1 stick butter, at room temperature
1 8-ounce block cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup baking cocoa powder
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
4 cups powdered sugar, sifted

In bowl of stand mixer (or with an electric mixer), cream butter and cream cheese together. Add in remaining ingredients until combined.

*****

This is some of the best chocolate frosting I have EVER had. The recipe actually says you can use vanilla or almond extract, but I had crossed out the almond extract, so I imagine that must not have been as good. I'm embarrased to admit how much of the frosting I ate straight out of the bowl, but since that's a pretty vague statement, I'll just leave it at that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would you be able to use less powdered sugar?

The Duo Dishes said...

Nice! We're messing with the idea of a chocolate cream cheese/sour cream frosting. This is helpful.

Audry said...

just fyi, there is absolutely nothing about egg beaters that is healthier than a good ol' egg.

the chocolate cream cheese frosting sounds good, I'm going to give it a try (that's how I ended up on your half-year-old blog post)