Thursday, July 26, 2007

Pasta with Chicken, Feta, and Roasted Peppers

This is another from the "Pasta & Co Encore" cookbook. I hadn't used it in awhile, so I found a few new recipes in it I wanted to try this week. I plan my menus out a week at a time, by the way. I just bought feta at Costco last week (smokin' deal, buying it there), and I was getting roasted red peppers for last night's frittata, so it worked out perfectly.

Pasta with Chicken, Feta, and Roasted Peppers
1/2 Tbsp salt for pasta water
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
1-1/2 Tbsp heavy cream
1/4 tsp dried red pepper flakes
1/8 tsp salt
10 grinds black pepper
1/2 pound fresh egg fettuccine or 1/3 pound (5 ounces) dried pasta
4 cups cooked boned, skinned chicken (preferably grilled), cut into bite-size pieces
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

Bring 4 quarts of water and the 1/2 tablespoon of salt to a boil. Meanwhile, in a large bowl whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, heavy cream, red pepper flakes, the 1/8 teaspoon salt, and black pepper.

Cook the pasta in the boiling salted water until tender. Rinse with cold water and drain well. Immediately toss with the dressing. Fold in chicken and feta. If the mixture seems dry, add a small amount of extra olive oil. Place in serving dish and top with 1/2 cup diced roasted red peppers and 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley. Serve at room temperature.

*****

I'm not buying a whole thing of heavy cream for 1.5 tablespoons, so I'm going to use whole milk because I have it in the fridge. I couldn't remember what kind of pasta this took when I was at the store on Monday, so I bought farfalle, but I may pick up some fettuccine today. I'm also not sure if we'll have it at room temperature or if we'll have it hot.

3 comments:

jenanderson said...

Can you come cook this at my house tonight too??
jen

Joanne said...

Yeah, I hate when you buy a whole carton of cream for a tiny bit of 1 recipe.

Claire said...

Jen, I don't make house calls!! But I'll let you know how it turns out. :)

Jo, especially when I try not to use cream in the first place! I figure whole milk is close enough, it will get the job done.