Monday, July 30, 2007

Mostaccioli

Tonight's dinner isn't one I would usually fix because it has ground beef in it, but I'm taking dinner to a friend that had a baby last week, and I don't want to make two things. This recipe makes A LOT, so I'm giving them half and keeping half for us. I'm also modifying it a bit, but I'll list that out below. This recipe is from my mom's friend, Ann Graham.

Mostaccioli
1-1/2 lb. Italian sausage
4 c. meatless spaghetti sauce
1 lb. cooked mostaccioli or rigatoni
1 beaten egg
1 (15 oz) ricotta cheese
2 c. mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 c. grated romano cheese

In a large pan, brown sausage; drain. Stir in spaghetti sauce and pasta; set aside. In a bowl, combine egg, ricotta, and mozzarella. In a 9x13 prepared pan (or 2-1/2 to 3 quart casserole) spread 1/2 of the pasta mixture into pan. Layer cheese mixture over all; top with remaining pasta mixture. Bake, covered, at 375 for 40 minutes. Top with romano cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Serves 8 to 12.

*****

I'm using a pound of hamburger (93% lean) and half a pound of ground turkey sausage instead of the 1.5 pounds of Italian sausage. I'm also doing it in two 11x7 pans, and I think I'm going to top it with some mozzarella instead of the romano because I don't have romano cheese.

My friend that I'm taking this to is a very picky eater. I made it for them when they had their first child, and they really liked it. So I figured why come up with something new this time around. :)

We're heading out of town on Wednesday, and when I was cleaning out my fridge this morning I noticed I have quite a few vegetables, so I think we'll have a big salad on the side so I can use up some of those.

By the way, this recipe is very easy to half. I've made it that way several times because with just two people, it takes forever to eat.

No comments: