Wednesday, January 14, 2009

White Girl Enchiladas

This is actually last night's dinner, but I felt guilty not posting it since I'm trying to be better about posting everything I make. And now that I've come out and said it, I'm that much more likely to actually do it since I don't want to get angry comments along the lines of, "You said you were going to be better about posting...why haven't you posted in three days?" But, rarely does anyone leave me a comment so it's probably not a valid concern.

Anyway, I call these my white girl enchiladas because 1) I'm a white girl, and 2) I don't think any Mexican would actually make enchiladas this way. Both kids are napping right now (or at least they're both in their rooms being quiet), so I'm not going to be overly verbose today so I can enjoy this peaceful time alone before the madness begins again.

White Girl Enchiladas
1-2 lbs chicken (depending on how much you are making)
1-2 small cans of diced green chilis
8 oz block of cream cheese
8-10 flour tortillas
15 oz. can Green Chili enchilada sauce
1 pkg. Cheddar/Mexican Cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Cook chicken and shred or cut into small pieces in a pan on the stove. Cut up 8 oz. of cream cheese into small pieces so it melts easier. Mix chicken with cream cheese and 1-2 cans of diced green chilis (depending on how spicy you want them) in the pan on medium heat.

Fill each tortilla with mix and fold up. Place into a lightly greased cooking pan, folded side down. Pour cheese and sauce over the enchiladas and put in the oven for 20 minutes.

*****

I had a bit of a chicken mishap over the weekend, so I had chicken meat to use from that. remember that roasted chicken I kept planning on making last week? I was finally going to cook it on Saturday night, but then we talked about going out to dinner, so I threw it in the crockpot in the morning because I didn't want it to sit out another day. We went about our day, took the boy to Zoo Lights because the first time we went it was rainy and horribly cold, then I went to hang out with Jen B. while her husband came over here to hang out with mine. I got home around 10:30 and smelled something in the kitchen. Yeah...it was the chicken. Oops. Thankfully it had been cooking on low all day. It literally fell completely apart when I pulled it out of there. I had planned on making stock with the bones, but I have a big container now of bones, skin, fat, and some pieces of chicken, so I can't decide if I should go ahead and have my first attempt at making my own stock or wait until I have a more intact chicken carcass to use.

Anyway...these enchiladas were really good, as usual. They're so easy to make--especially if using leftover chicken. I didn't have quite enough cream cheese, so I threw in some sour cream as well. I didn't notice much of a difference.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds great! Can't wait to try it!