Saturday, January 17, 2009

Blintz Souffle

Now, on to shower food. My friend Jen A. is having her second baby--another boy just like everyone else I know--in March, so I threw a baby shower for her today. It was very fun, if I do say so myself. I was lucky and a lot of our friends offered to bring food to help out, which was a huge lifesaver. It was quite the feast...egg casserole, potato casserole, blueberry muffins, scones, orange cinnamon rolls, Amish friendship bread, fruit with dip, baked brie, and this blintz souffle. All I had to do was this, the brie, and the punch. And clean my house--which was probably the most daunting task but a very much needed one.

I was at my mom's a couple weeks ago, and we were talking about what food to have at the shower. Well, I was talking about it and she was suggesting things. She said that a friend of hers had made this, and it was really good. I'm not usually big on trying out new recipes for the first time on big groups of people, but I trusted my mom.

Filling:
1-16 ounce carton small curd cottage cheese
2 egg yolks
1 Tbsp sugar
1-8 ounce package cream cheese, softened

Batter:
1-1/2 cups sour cream
1/2 cup orange juice
6 eggs
1/4 cup margarine or butter, softened
1 cup flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Cherry and blueberry pie filling

Grease a 9x13 pan. Beat all filling ingredients until well blended. Set aside. LIghtly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. In blender or food processor with metal blade, place the sour cream, orange juice, eggs, margarine, flour, sugar, baking powder, and cinnamon. Blend until smooth, scraping sides often. Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan. Drop filling evenly over batter; spread carefully and evenly. FIlling will mix slightly with the batter. Cover; refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake, uncovered 50-60 minutes or until puffed and light, golden brown. Serve topped with pie fillings. Yields 8-12 servings.

*****

I mixed it all together last night and then threw it in the oven this morning. Mine baked for close to an hour. I was pretty disappointed last night that I over-estimated the size of my food processor AFTER I got half the ingredients in it and realized it was too small. You know how I hate doing extra dishes. I broke out my blender instead.

This ended up being pretty good. Although I'll admit I didn't really taste it as much as I should have since I was mostly interested in the baked brie. There's less than half the pan left, so it was received pretty well. I'll have to try more once I'm ready for sweets again. I have a ton of the pie filling left, so I may have to look up cherry or blueberry pie recipes. There's more of the blueberry left than the cherry, and I do have a pie crust in the freezer. Hmmmm...a project for tomorrow!

No comments: