Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Chicken Soft Tacos

What a freakin' day. I had to take the baby in for his two month check-up today, so my mom came and stayed with the boy which was so nice of her. The morning was fine, but this afternoon I've spent wanting to rip my hair out...or find a job. The baby isn't napping, the boy has a cold and didn't nap. I came upstairs and found him in the office--where he isn't supposed to be unless Mommy or Daddy is with him--standing on the desk chair pulling paper out of the printer. UGH. I stuck him in the toy room and put "Robin Hood" on for him just so he'd be out of my hair for awhile. I may run away from home tonight. Oh yeah, and the husband is working late.

The husband had told me last week that he may need to stay late tonight, so I figured a crockpot dinner was in order since I didn't know when he'd be home. I realized last week that I haven't made this recipe in a long time (last time it was posted on the blog was for the boy's birthday last February!). I honestly don't know why we haven't had it more recently--it's really good and super easy to make. I kind of forgot I needed to throw it in the crockpot, so I hope it's done in time as I put the chicken breasts in still frozen.

Chicken Soft Tacos
1.5 pounds frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 envelope taco seasoning
Various taco fixings

Place chicken breasts in slow cooker. In small bowl, combine tomatoes and taco seasoning. Pour over chicken. Cook on low 6-8 hours. Remove chicken and shred. In a medium bowl, place shredded chicken and add sauce from crockpot until saucy-ness level of chicken is to your liking. Serve in tortillas with whatever taco toppings you like.

*****

I don't mix up the tomatoes and taco seasoning first...I just toss it all in the crockpot, cover it, turn it on, and call it good. This has been hit or miss with the boy--sometimes he really likes it, other times not so much. Since he's a little sick, I'll maybe cut him some slack tonight. I know before I've mixed some sweet potato puree into this to add some vegetables, but I'm not sure if I have any on hand right now. I don't remember seeing any in the freezer. I also have no idea what I'm going to serve with this. Maybe just a frozen veggie of some sort. I'm not feeling super creative.

I'll be back on Friday with a new dinner recipe. Well, new for us...Jen B. made it last week and it sounded really good, so I'm dying to try it. I wanted to make it tonight but since I didn't know when the husband would get home I figured it was better to wait. Tomorrow I have a fun girl's night out with some friends which I'm really looking forward to, even though the baby has to come with me. The downside of breastfeeding. :(

No comments: