Sunday, January 25, 2009

Blueberry Coffee Cake

I had almost a whole container of blueberry pie filling left after the baby shower last weekend, and I hated to see it go to waste. I checked out the website for the brand of pie filling and found some great recipes. It was between this, a blueberry pie with a crumb top, or blueberry snack bars. I printed all three recipes but could only find this one when I wanted to make something today. Darn little hands running off with my important things! I was pretty undecided on which to do, so I guess I should thank the boy for deciding for me.

Blueberry Coffee Cake
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup plus 1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream
1 (21-oz.) can Comstock® or Wilderness® More Fruit Blueberry Fruit Filling or Topping
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a bowl and set aside.
2. Combine butter or margarine and 1 cup sugar in a large mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat until mixture is light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in vanilla and sour cream. Add flour mixture and stir until just combined. Spread half the batter in the bottom of a greased 7 x 11-inch baking pan. Top with Blueberry Fruit Filling and carefully spread remaining batter over filling.
3. In small bowl, combine ½ cup sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon; sprinkle over top of coffee cake.
4. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool on rack before serving.

*****

When I was mixing it all up I thought it would probably be good with some lemon zest mixed in, but I didn't feel like zesting. I just had a piece, and it's really yummy! Mine kind of fell in the middle...not sure why. It's still tasty though. I don't normally have pie filling on hand, so I probably wouldn't randomly make this again, but it would be good to take to a breakfast of some sort.

(Okay...it's now 8:40 PM, and over half of the coffee cake is gone. The husband is in love with this coffee cake. Granted I've had my fair share, too, but it seems everytime I go into the kitchen, he's cut himself another small piece. So I guess it is a keeper...I'll just have to watch for pie filling to be on sale. I have some cherry pie filling left, I'm wondering if I should make another one with that!)

No comments: