Friday, August 21, 2009

Pizza Night!

I know I missed a couple nights posting, but there wasn't anything new, so you're not missing out. I'm so, so, so, so, so excited for dinner tonight! It occurred to me that we hadn't had grilled pizza for one of our Friday mini date nights, so I put it on my meal plan for this week. I wasn't sure what toppings to do on each until today, although I did buy dough at Trader Joe's earlier this week. I was thinking back to pizzas we've really liked, and I remembered the veggie pesto pizza we had awhile back. I knew I had pesto in my freezer and most of the veggies in my fridge, so I decided it was meant to be. Here's my original post:

Veggie Pesto Pizza

I don't know why I feel the need to have two pizzas, but it's nice to have a little variety I guess. I was looking at another food blog that I really like, Aggie's Kitchen, and saw a pizza that looked fantastic. Actually I was looking at the pictures on her Facebook fan page and saw a picture of a different pizza that looked yummy and while searching her blog for that one I came across this pizza. How's that for confusing?! Anyway, I didn't think the husband would dig it if I told him what it was, so I sent him a picture of it from her blog and he thought it looked tasty. Actually I gave him the choice of this or BBQ chicken and he said "whatever" so I chose this...I interpret that as him thinking it's tasty. ;) I can't wait to try this!!

Spinach Alfredo Pizza
(From AggiesKitchen.com)

Spinach White Cream Sauce - melt 2-4 tb butter in saucepan over medium heat. Stir in 2 tb of flour into butter, cook for 1-2 minutes. Add 2 cups half and half to butter mixture. Add dash of salt, pepper, and fresh ground nutmeg to cream. Bring to a simmer, continually stirring to avoid bottom of pan burning. Simmer for few minutes until sauce starts to thicken. Take sauce off heat and bring to room temperature. Add 8oz thawed chopped frozen spinach to sauce.
Parmesan Cheese
Mozzarella Cheese

*****

Okay, so there isn't a real recipe I guess, but I'm going to assume that anyone reading this can figure out how to assemble a pizza. Dough, sauce, cheese, go! Doesn't it sound amazing? You should go see the picture of it on her blog...wow! The recipe title up there is a link to the post on her blog, and if you scroll down you'll come to it. Or if you're lazy like me, hit Ctrl+F to do a search and type in "spinach" and there you go.

I can't wait for dinner!! My kids' bedtime can't get here soon enough! Of course, the baby is still napping, so I'm thinking he's going to need to be woken up here soon so that he goes to bed at a reasonable time!

ETA: In a crazy twist, Jen B.--whom I originally got the pesto pizza recipe from--got the idea/recipe from Aggie's Kitchen as well! So I guess it's Aggie's Kitchen's Pizza Night at our house this evening!

*****

Mmmmmmm...these were both really good pizzas! My white sauce for the spinach pizza got a little too thick because I added an extra tablespoon of flour, forgetting it would thicken up as it cooled. oops. It wasn't bad, just a little thick. I probably could have put a little more pepper and nutmeg in it as well. I wouldn't hesitate to make it again, though. Tasty!!!

No comments: