Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Balsamic Braised Chicken Sausage

As you may have guessed, I decided to skip the cassoulet and find something else to make instead. I tell ya, it was getting a little hairy there for a minute because I needed to start the cassoulet at 4:30 and it was 4:27 when I was still looking for a new recipe. But, I found one on RecipeZaar.com, of course! There was by no means a lack of recipes utilizing chicken sausage, I just didn't feel like having pasta or soup. Finally I came across this one, and I had all the ingredients for it. I love when the stars align like that!

Balsamic Braised Chicken Sausage
RecipeZaar Recipe #280394

4-8 links chicken sausages (I used chicken apple sausage)
1 red onion, roughly chopped
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

Put sausage and red onion in a large skillet. Add chicken broth, EVOO, and balsamic vinegar until it comes about half way up the sausages.

Cook over medium high heat until all of the liquid is evaporated. If you like balsamic vinegar you may want to add more to make more of a glaze.

*****

Okay, I'm glad I decided to forego the cassoulet because this was FANTASTIC!!! Even the boy ate an entire sausage link himself, which I didn't figure he would. I used Trader Joe's garlic herb chicken sausage. The sausage was so juicy and flavorful. Yum!!! The husband agreed we should have this again, but I think he'd rather I cook two packages of sausage next time since there are only four links in each package. I made some mashed sweet potatoes as a side dish...that recipe will be coming next!

No comments: