Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Mashed Sweet Potatoes

So, the chicken sausage recipe author said she had made mashed sweet potatoes to go with the sausage. I did another search on RecipeZaar to see what I could find because I conveniently had bought a bag of sweet potatoes at Trader Joe's last week. I really had no idea what I was going to do with them, other than maybe puree them for the baby to eat since he refuses to eat baby food anymore. This sounded easy, I had all the ingredients on hand, and it was listed as kid-friendly. And I figured without the honey in it the baby could have some too.

Apparently it's an Emeril recipe.

Emeril's Sweet Potato Mash
RecipeZaar Recipe #381427

4 sweet potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
2 quarts water
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
salt & freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons honey

In a large pot over high heat, bring the sweet potatoes and water to a boil. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender.

Drain well and return to the pot.

Add butter, salt and pepper to taste, cinnamon and honey and mash until all ingredients are combined.

Serve immediately.

*****

I used to not really like sweet potatoes, except at Thanksgiving with the marshmallows on top, and really then I always considered the sweet potatoes to be merely a vessel for the marshmallows. I don't know at what point I've started enjoying them, but it's been pretty recent. Actually over the weekend I had some sweet potato fries that were really yummy. I digress. This is one of the first times I've made sweet potatoes, and I have to say I was really quite pleased with how they came out, even though the recipe is pretty fool-proof. Everyone at my table liked them. The baby tore through his bowl, the husband had seconds, I scarfed down my portion. Yum. Super easy and a great new side dish to add to my arsenal!

1 comment:

Joanne said...

I love sweet potatoes - and especially in fries form! :)