Friday, August 7, 2009

Mmmmmm...clams

I'm back east for my cousin's wedding, hence the lack of posts. I am in clam heaven back here!! We met my cousin and her maid of honor for lunch yesterday, and I tried Rhode Island Clam Chowder. I swear I was reading about this somewhere recently but can't for the life of me remember where. It's a clear broth instead of cream or tomato. When I saw it on the menu I had to try it, and it was super tasty. I think the broth must have been clam juice. It was really good, and I have to assume it's healthier than New England clam chowder, which I love though too. I had an oyster roll for lunch, which is the Yankee version of a po' boy. Or so I figure.

Today we went to Newport, RI for the day. What a cool town! It reminded me of a CA beach town only a lot bigger houses and a lot more old money. We did a harbor tour and saw some of the amazing mansions built during the Guilded Age that were used merely as summer homes for 8-10 weeks of the year. Then for lunch we went to a seafood restaurant. My cousin (not the one getting married, her brother) said his friend told him that grilled clam pizza is big back here. Sounded interesting, and they had it on the menu, so I tried it. Freakin' awesome!!!! It was a white sauce pizza with little chunks of grilled clams...yum. I was quite happy with my lunch selection! My brother had a yellowfin tuna sandwich that was good, too.

Tomorrow night is the rehearsal dinner, and I will be having my first lobster roll. I'm pretty excited for it!

1 comment:

The Mulligan Family said...

Mmm... clams... love 'em. Hope you have been enjoying yourself on your trip. I've been slacking in the post department... and when I updated GumboYaYa today - it won't show on anyone's feeds that I updated it. i.e., on your page is says it was last updated a week ago with Shrimp Ceviche - but I just added Spinach Pie today. Oh well.. I suppose it will get straightened out eventually.

Anyway - safe trip - and enjoy yourself!

Cheers, Cindy