Monday, August 17, 2009

Grilled Caesar Salad

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back into the blog updating game. We got home from my cousin's wedding last Monday night, but I was super lazy all last week. Then the husband and I had our first overnight date night this past weekend since before the baby was born! It was fantastic!! Now today I'm trying to get back into the groove of everything. Really I could use a day to recover from the weekend, but what are you going to do.

I wasn't really sure what to do for dinner tonight because I don't think I'm going grocery shopping until after the boy goes to bed, so I needed to come up with something that I already had the ingredients for. I bought romaine hearts at Costco last week and remembered seeing recipes for grilled romaine. I thought a caesar salad would be a nice, light dinner for tonight since we're still recovering from excessive food and drink from the weekend. I found recipes on Recipezaar.com for both grilled romaine and a Caesar dressing for which I had all the ingredients. I'm excited for dinner tonight!

Grilled Caesar Salad
Recipe #3624450
1 romaine lettuce hearts, sliced in half with stem still attached
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 teaspoons lemon juice
salt and pepper
2-4 tablespoons prepared caesar salad dressing
1/4 cup crouton
anchovy (optional)
fresh shaved parmesan cheese, to taste (optional)
1/2 lb grilled chicken breast, well seasoned (optional)

Preheat grill to medium high. Drizzle oil and lemon juice over romaine and season with salt and pepper. Place on grill and cook for 1-2 minutes per side. Place cooked romaine on 2 plates and drizzle with dressing top with anchovies, cheese and or croutons. Enjoy!


Low Sodium Caesar Dressing
Recipe #98907

1/2 cup olive oil
4 cloves roasted garlic
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Blend all ingredients. Shake or stir before serving.

*****

I don't think I'm going to roast just four cloves of garlic, so I'll just use regular garlic. I don't have eggs or mayonnaise on hand right now, so I had to filter those out of my search results because a lot of the recipes called for those. I'm excited to try both this dressing and the grilled salad. I will grill a chicken breast or two as well to throw on top of the salad.

*****

The husband and I were both pretty skeptical of how this was going to turn out and had a frozen pizza in mind as our back-up plan. We were both really surprised--this was FANTASTIC!!! He was probably a little more worried about it than me because I don't think he'd ever heard of grilling lettuce before, but the flavor of the lettuce after it was on the grill was really tasty. And this was super fast and easy to put together; the longest part was grilling the chicken! This is definitely something I will make again. It was a great summer dinner, too, as it was really light!

No comments: