Thursday, May 29, 2008

Tres Leches Cake

We had a Mexican themed Bunco last night as a belated Cinco de Mayo celebration. When I saw what people were bringing it was mostly appetizers and main dishes, so I opted for a dessert. My mom had given me this recipe awhile ago, but I'd never made it. Seemed easy enough, and I heart Tres Leches Cake, so I figured I'd give it a go. My parents used to live in El Paso, TX, and Tres Leches Cake is big over there. Actually I had a really good one near Monterrey, CA last summer, too. But now I can just make my own!

Tres Leches (Three Milk) Cake
1 yellow cake mix (with pudding) baked as directed in 13 by 9-inch pan
1 can evaporated milk
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup rum (or to taste)
Whipped cream, to cover cake
5 ounces sweetened coconut

Poke holes in the cake with a fork all over. Pour topping mixture (evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, whipping cream, rum) over cake. Let mixture absorb completely in refrigerator.

Cover with whipped cream or cool whip and sprinkle sweetened coconut over top of cake. OPTIONAL: Add macadamia nuts, cherries and/or pineapple.

*****

The cake was a big hit!! I only put coconut on half of it because a lot of people--for whatever crazy reason--don't like coconut. But, wouldn't you know, only the half with coconut was eaten. So I have half a Tres Leches Cake sitting in my fridge. Just what a pregnant lady needs...half a cake to indulge in later in the day. Or for breakfast. ;) When I mixed up the topping, it looked like a lot of liquid, but it did all soak in. Make sure you poke a lot of holes in the cake so the liquid can soak in well.

All this talk about it, I think I'll sneak a piece in the kitchen while the boy's watching Sesame Street.

No comments: