Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Biscuits and Vegetarian Sausage Gravy

This definitely hasn't happened in a long time...I'm posting before I even eat lunch! Although I am starving and really want to go make a sandwich. My kid came down with a random fever while we were out running some errands, so I've been tending to him. Poor little guy, although he seems to be on the mend which is good. It's ridiculously hot here in Phoenix alreay, and I wonder if he got a little heat stroke or somethng playing outside last night--even though our yard was shaded and he was playing in a sprinkler. Who knows.

Anyway. I saw this recipe in one of my Cooking Light cookbooks recently and thought it sounded good. We buy vegetarian sausage from Costco, so all I needed to get were biscuits. I suppose I could have made my own, but I've never had good luck with that. Much easier to pop open a tube of Grands and call it good. I'm excited for this dinner. I love breakfast for dinner, and I love biscuits and gravy!!

Biscuits and Vegetarian Sausage Gravy
1 (16.3-ounce) can reduced-fat refrigerated biscuit dough
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 (14-ounce) package meatless fat-free sausage (such as Lightlife Gimme Lean)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups 1% low-fat milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper


Preparation
Prepare biscuits according to package directions.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook 3 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Crumble sausage into 1/2-inch pieces; return to pan.

Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and 1% low-fat milk, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Add milk mixture, salt, and freshly ground black pepper to pan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 3 minutes or until thick. Split the biscuits in half. Top each serving with about 1/3 cup gravy. Serve immediately.

*****

I think we'll have hashbrowns with it and maybe some fruit. I bought watermelon, strawberries, and grapes at the store today, so maybe I'll make up some kind of fruit salad.

No comments: