Thursday, April 1, 2010

Rick Bayless' Zucchini-Musrhoom Tacos with (or without) Chorizo

It makes me sad that this was already two weeks ago that I made this, and I'm just now posting it. This was worthy of posting as soon as I was done eating. I was goign to say while I was eating, but I wouldn't have stopped eating for anything in the world. But now I'm getting ahead of myself.

I had some zucchinis and Mexican squash I needed to use from the produce co-op in which I participate (how's that for wording it so I don't end the sentence with a preposition!!) and stumbled upon this recipe in Rick Bayless' Mexican Everyday cookbook when looking for zucchini recipes. I still had some homemade queso fresco from my cheese making class, so all I needed was chorizo and mushrooms.

Darn it, I can't find this recipe online already (although I really didn't look that hard), so I guess I'll type the beast out myself.

Zucchini-Mushroom Tacos with (or without) Chorizo
Copyright 2005, Rick Bayless' Mexican Everyday

4 ounces fresh Mexican chorizo sausage, casing removed (about 1/2 cup)
1-1/2 Tbsp vegetable or olive oil, if needed
1 medium white onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick
3 ounces mushrooms (shiitake, oyster, portobello or the like), stemmed and sliced about 1/2 inch thick
1 15-ounce can diced tomates in juice (preferably fire-roasted), drained
1 canned chipotle chile en adobo, seeded
1-1/2 tsp chipotle canning sauce
2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
salt
1/2 to 3/4 cup crumbled Mexican queso fresco or other fresh cheese
12 warm corn tortillas
Hot sauce, for serving

If using chorizo, lay it in a very large skillet and set over medium heat. Cook, stirring regularly and breaking up clumps, until cooked through, about 4 minutes.

If the chorizo has rendered considerable fat, tip off and discard all but enough to lightly coat the pan; if it has rendered very little--or if you're not using the chorizo--add the oil to the skillet and raise the heat to medium-high. Add the onion and cook, stirring regularly, until beginning to soften, about 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook about 2 minutes more, stirring regularly, until their liquid has evaporated and the mushrooms are beginning to brown.

While the mushrooms are cooking, pour the tomatoes into a food processor or blender. Add the chipotle chile and its canning sauce and process until smooth.

When the mushrooms are ready, add the tomato mixture and cook, stirring regularly, until the mixture has thickened to the consistency of canned tomato sauce, about 3-4 minutes. Add the zucchini and continue to cook, stirring every once in awhile, until the zucchini is cooked through but still a little crisp, 8-10 minutes. Taste and season with salt, usually about 1/2 teaspoon (more if not using chorizo).

Scoop into a bowl and garnish with the crumbled cheese. Serve with the warm tortillas and hot sauce for everyone to make soft tacos.

*****

Wow. Wow. WOW!!! These tacos were phenomenal. They smelled amazing while they were cooking, but man alive did they ever taste good. Our friend Steve was over that night and had dinner with us, and we all (him, the husband, and I) LOVED these. They were so spicy my lips were tingling--but in a good way. I really wasn't sure at first how all the flavors were going to come together, but they were so good. I made my own corn tortillas to go with them. Oh man, just thinking about these tacos makes me want to have them again. The only change I made was slicing zucchini instead of cubing.

I just read the intro to this recipe in the cookbook and it ends with:

"A quick saute, starting with the rousing flavor of Mexican chorizo and dolled up with smoky chipotle chile, shows off the sexier side of zucchini."

Bow chicka bow wow...sexy zucchini indeed!!



No comments: