Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Chicken Marsala

I could have sworn I had a Weight Watchers chicken marsala recipe I had made and posted at some point, but I couldn't find it on my blog, nor in my recipe stashes anywhere. I had some mushrooms from my produce co-op a few weeks ago that needed to get used, and I had some marsala wine, so I thought Chicken Marsala would be perfect. When I couldn't find the recipe I thought I had, I turned to my cookbooks and thought Giada would help me out. And she sure did!! Her recipe was for veal marsala, but I just substituted chicken for the veal. I'm not sure if this is the same recipe from her cookbook, but it sounds pretty similar, and copying it from the Food Network website is much easier than typing it all out. For Giada's veal version, check out the recipe on the Food Network website. My recipe below is the same, except I replaced each mention of veal with chicken.

Chicken Marsala

8 chicken cutlets (about 3 ounces each)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 to 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
1 large shallot, finely chopped
2 to 4 garlic cloves, smashed
2 ounces assorted mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup sweet Marsala
3/4 cup low-salt chicken broth
Leaves from 1 fresh rosemary sprig

Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of oil in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 4 chicken cutlets and cook until golden brown, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate. Add another tablespoon of butter and oil, if necessary. Repeat with the remaining 4 cutlets. Set the cutlets aside.

Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Add the shallot and garlic. Saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add a tablespoon of the olive oil, if necessary. Add the mushrooms and saute until tender and the juices evaporate, about 3 minutes. Season with salt. Add the Marsala. Simmer until the Marsala reduces by half, about 2 minutes. Add the broth and the rosemary leaves. Simmer until reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Return the veal to the skillet. Pour in all of the pan juices. Cook just until heated through, turning to coat, about 1 minute. Stir the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter into the sauce. Season the sauce with salt and pepper, to taste.

Using tongs, transfer the chicken to plates. Spoon the sauce over the chicken and serve.

*****

I'm pretty sure the recipe I used called for a stem of rosemary to be put in the sauce and then removed, not just the leaves. But that's not that big a difference. I love how easy Chicken Marsala is to make, and I love the flavor of it. I've seen recipes for it before that don't call for mushrooms, but I feel the mushrooms are an integral part of the recipe.

This was a great recipe--so flavorful and really easy to put together, too. I'll definitely make this again! I served it with some steamed broccoli and garlic mashed potatoes. Yum!



No comments: