Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Thanksgiving 2.2

If you've been reading my blog for awhile, you might remember last year's Thanksgiving #2. Technically I guess it was two years ago since we held it in December 2009. We decided it should be an annual tradition, however December got busy really fast, so we pushed this year's celebration to January. This year we dubbed the feast/fest Thanksgiving 2.2 since it was the second time we'd had Thanksgiving #2. Surprisingly, my BFF Jen came up with the name, not my nerdy IT husband. I mean nerdy in the most loving way possible, and I'm sure he knows that. :) We also invited our friends Pete and Michelle (and their boys Michael and Charlie), so it was quite the event.

This year my mom and I handled most of the sides, Jen's husband smoked the turkey, and Pete and Michelle brought an awesome pumpkin cheesecake. It was an awesome feast...and none of the family drama you can sometimes encounter when spending Thanksgiving with your loved ones. Along with the smoked turkey (which my husband has proclaimed is the only way he will eat turkey going forward...and I'm kind of inclined to agree with him) we had mashed potatoes, stuffing, a butternut squash gratin (recipe coming...it was awesome!), green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, and cranberry sauce. Oh, and my mom made a rockin' gravy from the turkey drippings. It may have been the best gravy I've ever eaten, with its subtle smokey flavor. Pete and Michelle's cheesecake was amazing. I don't generally dig on pumpkin, but this was super tasty. The husband isn't fond of pumpkin or cheesecake, and he devoured it. Note to self: get pumpkin cheesecake recipe from Michelle.

And now, some pictures to document Thanksgiving 2.2!

Save the neck for me, Clark! (Sorry, I couldn't resist when I was putting the giblets in a pot to cook)



My mom, aka Gaga, making the awesome gravy, and you can see all our side dishes in the oven.


My mom and her gravy making utensil...she claims it's the only way she can make gravy. I really only use it for mixing up marinades or salad dressings.


Michelle, maker of awesome pumpkin cheesecake. She, Jen, and I are going to run the Disneyland half marathon together. I know, can you believe it?! Me running?!


Butternut squash gratin


My mom's sweet potatoes (another recipe I must get)


Green bean casserole


My grandma's dressing (well, made by me)


The awesome gravy. And the last time you'll ever see my gravy boat because somehow my dog managed to get into the sink, eat the gravy out of it, and break it in such a way that half of it remained in the sink and half was on the floor on the opposite side of my kitchen from the sink. It's a mystery I will never solve.


Jen's husband, the smoked turkey master, hard at work




Pete and Michael, just so they don't feel left out


And finally, fun with the husband's Nerf gun after dinner


For whatever reason I didn't take a picture of the cheesecake. Probably because I'd had too much vino and was in a food coma from gorging on all the awesome food. I guess that means I'll have to make it sometime myself so I can share a picture.

No comments: