Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Spicy Black Bean Soup

This is one of my most favorite WW recipes ever!! I planned out my breakfasts and lunches this week so I can keep track of my points easier. This recipe popped in my head, and I got ridiculously excited. It's so yummy! When I was in college both of my roommates were vegetarians. When we lived on campus, my roommate Courtney would always get black bean soup in the dining hall when they served it. I joked that it looked like sludge and was totally grossed out when she'd eat it. I don't really know when I came about and started liking black beans, but they're probably my favorite bean. I used to add them to everything for a little extra protein and fiber--especially spaghetti sauce and mixed in with rice. Sadly the husband doesn't like black beans, so I don't eat them as often as I used to.

I'm making this soup to have for lunch throughout the week. I really struggle with lunch because if we have leftovers from the night before I usually send them with the husband for his lunch, and whatever the kids eat usually doesn't appeal to me (I can only have so many PB&J sandwiches, chicken nuggets, and hot dogs). A lot of days I end up just snacking instead of ever eating lunch, so I'm hoping if I plan out my lunches for the week I'll do a lot better.

Weight Watchers Spicy Black Bean Soup
POINTS® Value: 3

1 spray(s) cooking spray
1 medium onion(s), finely chopped
4 medium garlic clove(s), minced
45 oz canned black beans, undrained, divided (three 15 oz cans)
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
1 tsp ground cumin
14 1/2 oz fat-free chicken broth, or vegetable broth
10 oz canned tomatoes with green chilies, such as Rotel Tomatoes
11 oz canned yellow corn, drained

Coat bottom of a large stockpot with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are soft but not brown, about 5 minutes.

Place one can of beans in blender; add sautéed onion mixture, red pepper flakes and cumin. Cover and blend on high until smooth, about 30 seconds. Pour mixture back into stockpot.

Place second can of beans and broth in blender and puree until smooth; add to stockpot.

Stir third can of beans (do not puree first), tomatoes and green chilies, and corn into stockpot. Bring to a boil, lower heat to medium and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Yields about 1 1/2 cups of soup per serving.

© 2009 WeightWatchers.com, Inc. All rights reserved.
WEIGHT WATCHERS and POINTS are the registered trademarks of Weight Watchers International, Inc.

*****

Mmmmm!! I didn't realize how low on garlic I was, so I will probably just use garlic powder since I didn't buy any at the store this week. I really have no desire to run out for one thing with both kids (one of which is a sick baby), so garlic powder will have to do.

No comments: