Sunday, August 22, 2010

Surimi Rolls

Do you know one of the things I love about my meal planning spreadsheet? It's a super easy way for me to go back and see what things I've missed posting on my blog! Plus I love spreadsheets, but since I'm not out in the corporate world anymore I don't have many occassions for them, so really any chance I get to create one, I jump on it. Have I mentioned before that I planned probably 75% of my wedding using spreadsheets? I even had a way cool one for our seating chart at the reception using conditional formatting, SUMIF formuals, etc. It was pretty awesome if I do say so myself.

Anyway...I was figuring out my meal plan for the coming week (which isn't very exciting since I'm challenging myself to use stuff we already have on hand) and went back and looked at previous weeks' meal plans because I do a new tab for each week. I realized there are quite a few things I need to go back and post. The baby is napping, the boy is watching a show, and the husband is napping on the couch, so I'm having some computer time.

As a parent I feel I'm obligated to have a subscription to Parents magazine. Along with that I get weekly emails with meal ideas. Sometimes I take the time to read through them and see if there's anything interesting, other times I just delete it. This recipe was in one I actually read, and I loved how easy it sounded!

Surimi Rolls
From Parents.com

1 pound imitation crab meat (surimi), chopped
3/4 cup light mayonnaise
3/4 cup chopped celery (about 2 large ribs)
4 teaspoons fresh chopped tarragon
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon olive oil
8 hot dog buns, top-sliced variety

1. In a large bowl, mix together the imitation crab, mayonnaise, celery, tarragon, mustard and olive oil until well combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

2. To serve, spoon a generous 1/3 cup of the crab mixture into each roll. Garnish with parsley, if desired.

*****

I didn't have any tarragon, so I sprinkled in some Old Bay seasoning to add a little something to it. This came together ridiculously fast which is always nice. I was honestly surprised at how my kids gobbled this up. The baby could not get enough of it, and the boy ate every bite on his plate. This was a great dish for summer when it's hot out and you don't feel like cooking or heating up the kitchen but want something filling. I'd definitely make it again!

(I forgot to take a picture of it, but the post on Parents.com has a picture on it. I included the link in the recipe title up above.)

No comments: