Sunday, August 22, 2010

Homemade Quick Black Bean Burgers

My friend Jen recently sent me a link to a list of vegetarian burgers/sandwiches from the Cooking Light website. I was looking for some vegetarian options in my meal plan recently and going through my Recipes folder in my email and saw that. These burgers sounded super easy and tasty. I wasn't sure what the husband would think because he says he doesn't like black beans, so I made him go hang out upstairs in the play room with the kids while I worked on them so he wouldn't know what it was. ;)

Homemade Quick Black Bean Burgers

1 (2-ounce) hamburger bun, torn into pieces
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
1 (15.25-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 teaspoon grated lime rind
3/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 large egg white, lightly beaten

1. Place bun in a food processor; process 4 times or until crumbs measure about 1 cup. Transfer to a bowl.

2. Combine 1 tablespoon oil, garlic, and beans in processor; pulse 8 times or until beans make a thick paste. Scrape bean mixture into bowl with breadcrumbs. Stir in rind and remaining ingredients. With moistened hands, divide bean mixture into 4 equal portions (about 1/3 cup mixture per portion), shaping each into a 3-inch patty.

3. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties to pan; reduce heat to medium, and cook 4 minutes or until bottom edges are browned. Carefully turn patties over; cook 3 minutes or until bottom edges are done.

Nutritional Information
Calories:182
Fat:12.3g (sat 1.3g,mono 6.7g,poly 3.6g)
Protein:6.6g
Carbohydrate:15.6g
Fiber:4.6g
Cholesterol:53mg
Iron:2mg
Sodium:448mg
Calcium:103mg

*****

I used two pieces of whole grain whole wheat bread instead of the bun. Oh, and I didn't have any fresh oregano, so I think I added in some cumin because I heart cumin and thought it would work nicely with the other flavors. The burger mixture was pretty wet and sticky, so I'd recommend a little non-stick spray on your hands to make it easier to work with and get the burgers in the pan.

I topped all the burgers with monterey jack cheese, then the husband and I also had avocado and tomato on ours. The boy doesn't like either of those, and the baby actually picked off the tomato and avocado and ate them on their own. He was not a fan of this dinner. The boy ate his well enough but wasn't happy about it. The husband and I both really liked these burgers, so I'd probably make them for a dinner we'd have after the kids are in bed. I liked these a lot better than some frozen veggie burgers I've tried, and I loved the chili powder and cumin in them.

Sorry for the half-eaten picture...I was so excited to eat I forgot to take a picture before I sat down at the table!

2 comments:

Joanne said...

Um, there is something wrong with your husband if he doesn't like black beans. Just in case you hadn't realized that is CRAZY. ;)

Claire said...

You're telling me!! Although, in his defense, I didn't used to like black beans. When you and Court would get black bean soup in the dining hall, I called it sludge. Now I love black bean soup! I think I'm slowly getting him to come around to them.