Saturday, December 13, 2008

4-Layer Bars

I'm dying to do more holiday baking, but I'm forcing myself to clean the kitchen before I get to do anything fun like that. My kitchen has an insane amount of clutter in it right now. Everyone keeps telling me, "You have a new baby--your house doesn't have to be clean" which I mostly agree with, however the clutter is driving me up the wall. And I want to get things ready for Christmas decorations (mostly our tree...I think that's all that is left to put up) and can't get all that out with an already cluttered house.

So, I think as the boy is zoned out watching Christmas specials off the DVR, I'll clean the kitchen. Then either tonight or tomorrow, the boy and I can make these. This is my most favorite treat to make at Christmas-time. There's no good reason you couldn't make them any other time of year, but I always just make them in December. I need to make up a "treat list" of things to make because I really want to be baking! Plus the boy likes helping when I bake, so that makes it more fun. If he was just old enough to do the dishes, it would be perfect. Anyway, I saw this recipe pictured in the Kraft Food & Family magazine years and years ago (well, 2004) and have been making it ever since. The husband could eat the whole pan in one sitting, so consider yourselves warned as to how tasty these are!

4-Layer Bars
1 pkg. (2-layer size) yellow cake mix
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, melted
1 egg
3 cups JET-PUFFED Miniature Marshmallows
1 cup candy-coated chocolate pieces (i.e. M&Ms)
1/2 cup PLANTERS COCKTAIL Peanuts, chopped

PREHEAT oven to 375°F. Combine cake mix, butter and egg. Spread into lightly greased 13x9-inch baking pan.

BAKE 16 to 18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

TOP immediately with remaining ingredients. Bake an additional 2 minutes or until marshmallows begin to melt. Cool completely. Cut into 32 bars to serve.

*****

Mmmmmmm. I can't wait to make these. I heart them so much.

I'm going to be making dinner tomorrow night, kind of. I bought marinated ahi tuna steaks (hooray...I can have ahi tuna again!!!!!) at Trader Joe's yesterday, so we're going to grill those on our brand new fancy schmancy grill. I think I'm going to make some orzo to have on the side of it because we haven't had it in forever. Monday will be the last night we're getting meal support from anyone, so it's back to the grind of cooking for me. Well, kind of. My mother-in-law will be here, and she may very well do some cooking while they're visiting. But, Tuesday night I have a super yummy "getting back in the saddle" dinner planned. It's a repeat recipe, but one I've only made once and LOVED. The main ingredient was reasonably priced at Trader Joe's yesterday, so I couldn't resist.

1 comment:

jenanderson said...

I totally forgot about these bars. I may have to make them too. They are so yummy!!!