Sunday, July 18, 2010

Gnocchi with Spinach, Ham, and Gorgonzola

My kids are entertained with a cartoon right now (well, the boy is at least, the baby is just wandering around playing with whatever he comes across), so I figured I might as well get a little caught up on my blog while I have some peace.

This is another recipe from the America's Test Kitchen 30-Minute Suppers magazine. I had recently cooked a whole ham and of course had a ton of ham leftover from it, so I was very excited when I saw this, especially since all I needed to make it was some spinach.

Gnocchi with Spinach, Ham, and Gorgonzola
From America's Test Kitchen 30-Minute Suppers Summer 2010 Special Issue

1 pound vacuum-packed gnocchi
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
6 slices deli ham, cut into 1/4-inch strips
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
3/4 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
1 tsp juice from 1 lemon
2 ounces baby spinach

Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot. Add 1 tablespoon salt and gnocchi to boiling water and cook until tender and floating, about 4 minutes. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water, drain gnocchi, and transfer gnocchi to paper-towel lined plate.

Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add gnocchi to skillet and cook until browned, about 4 minutes. Stir in ham and cook until it begins to brown, 2-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

Add reserved cooking water, pine nuts, cheese, and lemon juice to skillet and stir until cheese starts to melt and sauce becomes creamy. Add spinach and stir until just wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.

*****

This was so tasty and so easy!! The baby had three helpings, I couldn't believe it. I ended up using regular blue cheese instead of gorgonzola because I had some on hand already. And I could have sworn I had pine nuts in my freezer, but apparently I used them all. I don't think they would have contributed a ton to the flavor but the texture they would have added would have been a nice touch. We all really liked this, so I'll definitely make it again. In fact I may reserve some of the leftover ham for it!!

No comments: