Thursday, January 14, 2010

Pioneer Woman's Chicken Fried Steak

I have a night home alone (well, kids are here but sleeping), and I'm spending it updating my blog and catching up on DVR shows. Exciting life I lead, isn't it? I know you're jealous!! I realized it had been a week since I'd updated, so I needed to get back on the blog bandwagon.

I put off posting this one because it required typing out a recipe instead of finding it online and just copying it. Then as I was getting ready to type it, I figured I'd check my good friend Google and see if he could help me out. Lo and behold, he did! I'll give credit below with the recipe.

Chicken fried steak reminds me of my grandpa. He loved a good chicken fried steak. One of my biggest regrets is that I never took him to a restaurant here in Phoenix, TexAZ Grill, that has by far the best CFS I have ever had. It's seriously the size of a platter, covered in awesome gravy, and served with mashed potatoes and a biscuit. Lordy mama, it's awesome. My friend Benah and I frequented the place quite often when we were both pregnant. But now she's a vegetarian, and I'm determined to get skinny, so it will be a long time before I eat there again. Sad.

Anyway, my friend Jen A. emailed me that she had tried PW's CFS and it was awesome. I figured the last week of the year before the husband and I started our diets was the perfect time to have it. And I even found cube steak on sale. Obviously the Good Lord wanted me to make this, right? That's what I thought too.

I found the recipe typed out on a blog called Framed - My Life One Picture At A Time. And now that I've copied the recipe she (I think she anyway) painstakingly typed out, I will check out her blog more thoroughly. It's the least I can do, right?

PW's Chicken Fried Steak

3 pounds sliced cube steak
2 large eggs
3 1/2 cups milk
3 1/3 cups flour
2 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoons paprika
1/4 teaspoon red pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
3 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup canola oil

1. Beat the eggs with one cup of milk and place in shallow dish

2. Mix 3 cups flour with 2 teaspoons salt, paprika, cayenne and black pepper, place in shallow dish

3. Season the meat with salt and pepper. Dip in eggs, then flour, then back in eggs, coating thoroughly each time. Place on empty plate until ready to cook.

4. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Fry meat 3 pieces at a time until golden, about 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove to paper towel lined plate and keep warm.

5. After frying all the meat, pour out all grease except for 1/4 cup and heat up the grease. Sprinkle 1/3 cup flour over the grease and whisk it together.

6. After a couple of minutes the flour mixture will turn brown. Whisking constantly, pour in 2 cups of milk. Let gravy come to slow boil to thicken. Add more milk as needed if it gets too thick. This should take 5-10 minutes.

7. Generously season with salt and pepper.

8. Place meat on plate and spoon gravy over. Serve with mashed potatoes and whatever other veggie you like

*****

I think I have a frying deficiency. Honestly if there's any method of cooking that I have to suck at, I'm glad it's frying since I don't do it very often. I thought the CFS was just okay. I don't think it had anything to do with the recipe, I think it was all on my end. And to top it off, we'd just had my grandma's fried chicken and gravy a few days before. The husband said as we were eating, "I don't want this to come across the wrong way, but I think it was too soon for you to make gravy after we had your grandma's." I have to admit, he was right. She's almost 92 so has probably close to 80 years experience making gravy. I can probably count on both hands the number of times I've attempted to make gravy. This wasn't bad by any means, just not as good as some other CFS I've had over the years. If you don't have a problem frying foods, I suggest trying it as I'm sure it's fantastic if done correctly.

No comments: