Thursday, February 2, 2012

Chinese Five Spice Turkey Lettuce Wraps


I'm super multi-tasking this afternoon...sitting here with hair color in my hair (my roots were in a sorry state of affairs), updating my blog, and watching the most recent Glee episode. Oh, how I love me some old school Michael Jackson!! I also love Aggie's Kitchen (how's that for a transition?!) and was excited when she recently posted this recipe. When we did our low carb week last week, this was the first dinner I planned. I love lettuce wraps but hadn't ever made them myself. They fit the low/no carb diet perfectly, though.

Chinese Five Spice Turkey Lettuce Wraps
Source: Aggie's Kitchen website

1 lb ground lean turkey breast
1 medium red onion, chopped small
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
1 carrot, chopped small
2 tablespoons chopped water chestnuts
1 1/2 teaspoon 5 Spice Powder
2 teaspoons low sodium tamari (or soy sauce)
3 teaspoons rice vinegar
2 teaspoons black bean sauce
1 teaspoon agave or honey
chile garlic or chile sauce (like sriracha), for serving
Boston or iceberg lettuce leaves, washed and dried
shredded slaw mix (optional)
chopped green onions (optional)

Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray and add onion and carrot. Cook for about 3-4 minutes, add ground turkey. Using a wooden spoon, break up ground turkey and sprinkle 5 spice powder over meat. Continue to cook until cooked through completely, about 7 minutes.

While turkey is cooking, combine tamari, rice vinegar, black bean sauce, agave, ginger and garlic in a small bowl. Add to ground turkey during the last few minutes of cooking and stir until all combined.

To serve scoop ground meat mixture into lettuce leaves, top with slaw mix, green onions and chili sauce.

*****

I couldn't find black bean sauce, so I substituted hoisin sauce. These were super tasty!! My kids got a little frustrated trying to keep the lettuce wrapped around the filling, so they resorted to just eating the filling and lettuce separately. I'm glad I finally made these...they are definitely something we'll eat on a regular basis!

1 comment:

Aggie said...

Love this post! (and love Michael Jackson! :) )

So happy your tried out the recipe and liked it! Hoisin sauce is a great sub, I was surprised to find it in my pantry INSTEAD of hoisin!

I feel so much better when I eat low carb, especially in the evenings! My kids had the same experience with theres, lol.

Thanks for the link love and mention! Nice to meet you!