Tuesday, March 3, 2009

No-Guilt Pumpkin Cookies

Jen B. was talking the other day about making some pumpkin bread, so I've had pumpkin on the brain ever since. I found a can of it in my pantry, so I've been trying to decide what to do with it. I looked on my new favorite recipe website, RecipeZaar.com for pumpkin recipes and came across this cookie recipe. I had everything on hand for it, so I told the boy if he took a good nap today we'd make them. Plus I was happy with the nutritional info (LOVE that about RecipeZaar!!), so I thought they'd be a good snack to have around.

No-Guilt Pumpkin Cookies
Recipe #169079

1/2 cup sugar or Splenda granular
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup margarine or butter, softened
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup ground flax seeds
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In large bowl, beat sugars and margarine until light and fluffy. Add pumpkin, vanilla, and egg; blend well. Add dry ingredients and mix well. Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until light golden brown around the edges.

*****

Wow. These are so yummy. I've had four five cookies from the first batch (this is why I don't normally bake cookies!!). The boy is having his second. I was a bit nervous because I've made other pumpkin cookies and was really disappointed with how they turned out, but these are super tasty. Very light and fluffy with a cake-like consistency. Yum. In fact, I may mix up another batch of dough tomorrow and freeze since I have half a can of pumpkin leftover.

1 comment:

The Mulligan Family said...

Sounds delish! I'm going to have to try this one.

Thanks for coming by GumboYaYa - and for telling me that Trader Joes usually has the challah or brioche. Unfortunately, my closest TJ's is 45 miles away. So, I don't often get there. But now that I know - I will be prepared the next time I make the bread pudding.

Cheers, Cindy