Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Pulled Pork Sandwiches

We're taking dinner to some more friends tonight that just had a baby. What can I say, I have very fertile friends! The husband leads my husband's bible study group, and the wife leads mine. They had their second child last week, so I said we'd bring dinner over and eat with them tonight before the men have their study. I was going to do a casserole but decided to move my menu around a little for the week and instead of having pulled pork on Sunday for dinner, we'd have it tonight. It's a crockpot meal...I LOVE my crockpot!

Pulled Pork Sandwiches
2 lb. boneless pork loin roast
1-1/2 tsp. garlic powder
2 cups barbecue sauce
1/2 cup chopped onions

Spray inside of slow cooker with cooking spray. Place pork roast in slow cooker; sprinkle with garlic powder. Add barbecue sauce and onions and mix lightly. Cover and cook on low heat 7-9 hours. Remove meat from slow cooker and shred with 2 forks. Return meat to slow cooker and toss with barbecue sauce until well coated. Heat through and serve on hamburger buns, toasted bread, pita bread, or baked potatoes.

*****

I think 2 cups of BBQ sauce works out to be an entire bottle; I never measure, I just pour in the whole bottle. Why dirty a measuring cup? I didn't realize I was out of onions and didn't want to have to go to the store, so I just put some onion powder on the roast with the garlic powder. I was also low on BBQ sauce (had about 1-1/2 cup), so I had to come up with my own BBQ sauce concoction. I ended up using about 3/4 cup of chili sauce and mixed in some grape jelly and brown sugar. I sampled it before adding it, and it tasted pretty darn good.

I'm going to make a pasta salad and some cupcakes to take along with it. Should be yummy!

No comments: