Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Ziploc Bag Ice Cream

A couple summers ago (either last summer or the one before, I can't remember which) my friend Denise sent me a recipe for ice cream made in a Ziploc bag. I tucked it away in my Recipes folder for a later date. Maybe it was two summers ago because the boy would have been too little for it. I don't know. Anyway, I remembered it a few weeks ago and kept mentioning it to the boy that we'd have to make it. Then when he'd ask to make it, I didn't have the right ingredients. Well now, by golly, I do! After he finishes his snack we're going to make ice cream!

Ziploc Bag Ice Cream

1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup half-and-half
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 sandwich-size Ziploc bags
1 one gallon-size Ziploc bag
2 cups ice
1 Tablespoon coarse salt

Put milk, half-and-half, sugar and vanilla extract in a small Ziploc bag; seal securely after removing excess air. Put that bag inside the other small Ziploc bag; seal securely, removing excess air from that bag, too. Add ice and salt to larger bag and place smaller sealed double-bags inside. Seal large bag firmly, too.

Let the kids shake themselves silly as they shake, toss and turn the bag. The ice cream will be soft-serve and ready to eat in 5 to 10 minutes. Enjoy!

*****

This isn't the usual type of recipe I post, but since it's hot just about everywhere (or at least it's hot here and in WA, where I grew up, so almost everyone I know is sweltering right now) and kids need to be entertained, I thought this would be worth sharing.